Breckenridge Part 2

March 12, 2024

Time began to lose meaning by the morning of the surgery. Although he was scheduled for somewhere between 8 and 9 am, I prepared myself to be patient about any delays. I joked with the nurses that we were definitely not going to be late, and we had nowhere to be afterwards. It was around 9 that a nurse came upstairs to retrieve Felix and wheel his bed downstairs to the pre-op area. I came along and kept him calm. One of the surgeons was finishing up another procedure, so we did wait for quite a while. I spent nearly an hour gently rubbing Felix’s forehead, feeling myself completely present and keeping him calm. When the operating team was finally ready for him, I kissed his forehead and told him I would see him on the other side of the surgery.

I made my way back upstairs to room 207. I spent some time pacing back and forth, talking on the phone to various close friends and family, my eyes on the snow-covered mountain range out the window. Dr. Otto had set the expectation of a 2 to 3-hour procedure. Thankfully, a nurse inside the operating room was texting me updates as they moved along. 

The procedure has started.

Felix is doing well. He was much more comfortable as he drifted off to sleep. Dr. Poulis and Otto are working away, and I will update you when I have more info. Vital signs are excellent.

I witnessed my mind drifting towards morbid thoughts of Felix not making it through. Expectations and projections like this about the future are rarely helpful. In order to redirect my thoughts, I set myself up to meditate. I used the compass on my phone to figure out which direction was East, so I could face that way. Sitting elevated on the squishy “Game Over” pillow I bought for Felix to use when we eventually traveled home, I began practicing coherent breathing. This is a 5:5 count practice that successfully put me in a state of calm. I reached out energetically to Felix to lend my support. During that meditation, a vision came to me. Felix was floating in space. I found myself floating out to meet him. I caught him gently in my arms, supported him and carried him home. This vision was off to the right in my awareness. In the area of my third eye, there was a pink, swirling vortex. I sat calmly with these images for a long time. 

Plate #2 going in, all is well.

Plate #4 in. Chest tube as well. Surgeons will determine if any other plates will be necessary. I’ll pass info on to you when they let me know.

Hours passed…

Plate # 5 is going in now. Felix is doing well.

6th (lateral-on the side of the rib) plate going in, and from the conversation between the rep and surgeons, they also want to plate the anterior (front) of several of the ribs. If I had to guess…another 1.5 hours of work (give or take).

8th (and final plate) in. Surgeons are getting ready to close incisions.

The procedure is finished.

After nearly 6 hours, I received confirmation that the surgery was a success. I gathered myself and headed downstairs to the surgery waiting area to meet with Dr. Poulis for her final thoughts.

The patient is in the first stage of recovery.

Dr. Poulis came out a little while later and explained her viewpoint on the surgery. She felt it went well, although she noted that the damage was more extensive than she thought once she opened him up and got in there. She was happy with how everything ended up and felt confident about his recovery. She reiterated the importance of staying on top of Felix’s breathing as he recovered, reminding me that pneumonia is a dangerous outcome that we want to avoid.

To be continued….

Stay informed about the release of my upcoming book, Breathe2Win by sending me an email to


Download the 5 Principles of Confidence Based on the 5 Classical Ballet Positions

Signup now and receive an email once I publish new content.

I will never give away, trade or sell your email address. You can unsubscribe at any time.

Related Posts